Tokyo Nights
Life In Tokyo - Neil Stalnaker
Sunday, August 14, 2005
Tonight @ The New York Bar
Just finished a great gig at the New York Bar. Tonight, I played with one of the great pianists of Tokyo, Jonathan Katz. I know what some of you must be thinking, it's a hotel gig. What could be so great about that? Well, I'll have to say...I completely understand. But, ever since I started doing that gig, I have approached it as I would any really creative gig. I play whatever songs I want. Many times Tom Pierson and I play free jazz for a lot of the gig. Now, tell me where cats are doing that on a hotel gig? A lot times I bring a new player into the room and they start doing that "lounge" thing. But, I would rather stay home and watch a movie than do a gig like that at this stage. So, tonight's gig was special because I thought that we both communicated really well with each other, created a good vibe in the room and I really felt like the people were moved (at least that's what they said)
by some of the music that we played. My feeling is that it's just a room. It's what feeling you as an artist bring to it. What context do you set-up for yourself in that space? Of course, I know sometimes as musicians we are brought into spaces that are almost impossible to transform into creative environments....but, never say never.......