Tokyo Nights
Life In Tokyo - Neil Stalnaker
Friday, September 02, 2005
A Sad Day
I don't even know how to express my sadness for the people of New Orleans and the Gulf coast. I guess I don't have to, everyone has feelings about this. I'm confused. I feel sad and shock about the natural disaster itself but, I seem to feel more sadness and even anger about the disaster that has evolved in the past 5 days after the storm. Of course I'm in Tokyo, not the US, not on the Gulf coast. It's easy for me to sit here and comment. However, I just haven't seen or felt the "sense of urgency", that I witnessed during the 9/11 situation, to help these people. Why? I can't understand. We "moved mountains" in Afghanistan and Iraq. We approved multi billions, moved troops and equipment at an unbelievable pace. Sound political? Well...maybe it is. That's not my intention. This situation (slow aid to the storm victims) is inexcusable. Politicians come on the damn t.v. and slapp each other on the back and tell each other how great of a job they're doing and at the sametime, dead bodies are being stacked in the stairwells at New Orleans hospitals.