Tokyo Nights
Life In Tokyo - Neil Stalnaker
Thursday, September 22, 2005
Outer Rim (video)

I want to thank the guys in the band, Miles and all of you that came out to hear us!!! Thank you sooo much! Tonight's gig was one of my very favorites in the last 10 years. So much energy, PASSION(!!!) and communication and I could feel all of that coming back from the audience. Thank you so much!

Over the last 25 years, I've been lucky to have a lot of work as a trumpet player. During some of that time, I took jobs outside of music. But, whenever I have wanted to really work as a full-time trumpet player, it hasn't been much of a problem. Looking back over those 25 years, I think I took jobs outside of music sometimes because I became bored with the kinds of playing I was doing.

Doing a gig like this one tonight makes it clear to me why I got into music in the first place. When I first moved to Washington, D.C. in 1982, I became very busy (playing trumpet), very quickly. I played all kinds of gigs. I never said no to a gig. Looking back, I know I played in a lot of contexts that were incredibly boring and had very little meaning or creativity. I was playing 250-300 times a year. In some respects it was wonderful. It was great for my confidence...great for my sight-reading...etc.

I'm not real interested to play in a "cover" band now. I like playing originals. I can't tell you how deeply enjoyable it is to write a new song, take it to a rehearsal and then perform it on a concert with your band and then to record it on a CD. Of course, I don't have a recording contract with a record label, don't have an agent and no promotional support. So, at this time, it's a little more difficult to get large numbers of people to my performances. But, that's ok. I'm patient. I've gotten enough feedback from my performances in the USA, Switzerland, Russia and Japan that people seem to enjoy the music (if the energy, passion and communication is there).

Presently, I'm still a trumpet player full-time and also doing some trumpet teaching. I feel very lucky. I guess I could make a lot more money if I took a lot other kinds of different gigs. But, I'm able to make it now. In the 1990's I was fortunate to have the experience of making great money. I know what that is. I feel like I know how to do that now if I wanted to get into some other kinds of businesses.

I had been a professional trumpet player for 10 years when I got throat cancer in 1991. I remember a large group of doctors and therapists came into my hospital room to tell me that I couldn't play trumpet ever again. It took me a long time to get my playing back but, I was able to do it. So, I feel a responsibility to really do something with my "2nd life" as a musician. I don't want to waste it. I want to do creative things. It doesn't mean I don't want to make money. haha..I'm normal. I like money as much as the next guy. However, at this point in my life, I'm not going to let it be the "driving force" in my career and my life.