Tokyo Nights
Life In Tokyo - Neil Stalnaker
Monday, October 24, 2005
Why?
I've been living in Tokyo for 7 years now (can't believe it...neither can my son or daughter). Occassionally, I take a look at JAZZLIFE and SWINGJOURNAL magazines (I don't know why, I always get depressed later). I think these are the 2 most popular "jazz" magazines in Japan. They seem to do a pretty good job of covering the "local" Tokyo/Japan scene...at least in terms of the Japanese musicians and the really famous musicians from NY/LA and Europe that visit here. However, I've NEVER seen ANY coverage (interviews/reviews/photos) of the foreign musicians that live in Tokyo or other parts of Japan. It's like we don't exist. Like we are invisible. One time I saw Tommy Campbell's picture in JAZZLIFE because he happened to be on a concert with some FAMOUS Japanese musicians. I see Marcus Miller on the cover of JAZZLIFE about every other month or when they don't have Michael Brecker, Joshua Redman or Pat Metheny on the cover. When Marcus used to come to town, he used to go to Pickford in Roppongi to hang-out and jam. I've never heard any mention of any of the "cats" from Pickford in the magazines, even though George Duke, Brian McKnight, Stevie Wonder and others used to routinely drop-in to Pickford.) It's kind of amazing to me how you can ignore a whole segment of the music scene like these magazines have done. I think it actually must take some effort. But, it's ok. I don't need these mags or the record companies. I'm building my "thing" one happy listener at a time. It might take me a while longer but, that's ok. I'm patient. I never hear anyone mention what I'm talking about today. That's also interesting to me. It's like there is this context set-up that excludes us and we just buy into it and trot along like little sheep to our next "event" gig. Not i..........