Tokyo Nights
Life In Tokyo - Neil Stalnaker
Wednesday, March 29, 2006
3/28/06 "Hittin The Books".....
I remember playing a lot of gigs with the great hammond b-3 organ master, Gene Ludwig about 10 years ago. We did dozens of daytime school concerts and sessions at night in clubs. Also, when I got invited to the Montreux Jazz Festival, I took Gene over to play with me in a quartet.

Gene had been playing over 40 years. He used to be in Sonny Stitt's band. I was in awe to be playing with someone from Stitt's band.

Gene used to say, "Man, I'm still hittin the books everyday, still in the books everyday learning new tunes."

It was so great to be around a cat like that. After all of those years of playing and practicing, Gene was still hungry to learn more everyday. Often we would go on the gig and play tunes in every key.

It's difficult to call up a tune that he doesn't know. Usually, he only wants to know what key......