Tokyo Nights
Life In Tokyo - Neil Stalnaker
Monday, September 26, 2005
Life In Japan
I guess maybe sometimes it seems like I don't like Japan or living in Japan. It sometimes seems easier to be negative than to talk about the things we like. However, I've always had a fascination with Japanese culture.

I've been living here for 7 years. It has been such a fast 7 years in many ways. I have always eaten Japanese food since arriving here April of 1998. The food here has really turned my life around. I came here still suffering the effects radiation treatments (daily for two months). It took me years to overcome the radiation. I'm a big fan of brown rice (genmai) and unagi (eel). I also love having the traditional breakfast of rice, miso soup and fish. Soba (buckwheat noodles) is something I enjoy having for lunch or when I'm on the run and have to grab something fast in a train station. This year, I found a tiny sushi shop near my home that I like to visit once or twice a month. I usually have some sake or Sapporo beer with my sashimi and sushi.

One thing that I have always loved about Japan is the cleanliness (organization and structure). However, I must say that some of the structure and lack of flexibility drives me insane. Recently, I have been able to let a lot of that just "roll off my back", though.

The train system in Japan is really unbelievable. It blows me away thinking about our almost non-existent train system in the USA. I don't even need a car in Japan. The stations are very convenient. Compared to the cost of maintaining a car, the train cost in Japan is very reasonable. The trains are ALWAYS on time.

It's surprising to me that I can make a living as a "jazz" (whatever that is) musician in Japan and back in my own country (where JAZZ is considered to be a national treasure) can't even begin to make a living. There is such an enormous appreciation here for "the music".

Yes, everyone knows that Japanese are known for copying....and copying well. However, I like the thing I see in the culture where Japanese seem to want to pick the best or the highest level things from various other cultures around the world.

I guess I could go on and on. There are so many things that attract me to Japan. But these days I feel incredibly lonely all the time. Maybe it's because I'm not with my kids. I'm always talking to my parents on skype. But, it's just not the same as being in their living room..hangin' out..talking...watching some tv together and eating some snacks.. or having a cook-out. Living in another country isn't easy. Even if you really like the place, as I do Japan. I miss a lot of things about the USA. So many people have been so unbelievably nice and generous to me here in Japan. And at the same time, I feel like such an outsider. Sometimes I go all day without saying anything. It's difficult. Maybe I'm not supposed to be so open and honest in a blog. I don't know. I never read other blogs. I don't have much blogging experience. But, if I don't speak from my heart then I think it's just a waste of time for everyone. It's the same when I play trumpet. If I only play what I think people want to hear then I'm not playing from my heart. If I don't play from my heart and soul then I'm not being honest with my music.