Tokyo Nights
Life In Tokyo - Neil Stalnaker
Wednesday, October 26, 2005
Seasonal Depression
Every year about this time, I dip down into a depression. It's been happening for so many years, I don't even know when it actually started. I remember 5 or 6 years ago, the depression was almost paralyzing. I remember being on the train, going to the Shinjuku Pit Inn to do a gig and really thinking about not going. I couldn't imagine that I would be able to play anything at all. I had similar feelings this week but, was able to play Sunday, Monday and Wednesday nights. I feel like I can play at my best level now, while being in the middle of terrible depression. Depression is so misunderstand. It's a huge breakthrough for me to be able to play my best while having a serious bout with depression. In the past, I usually let everything go....unpaid bills...bad diet....too much sleep...no sleep...no trumpet practice...no sex...too much sex...spending all of my money..etc. It even cost me my marriage, kids, house, cars, etc.