Tokyo Nights
Life In Tokyo - Neil Stalnaker
Thursday, January 19, 2006
1/19/06 Train "Accident".......
Just got back from my walk. I usually walk to SATY and have a cup of coffee at Starbucks, read and then go home (often stopping at the park to exercise a bit outside). I had a really long walk this morning so I decided to take the train home from SATY. Got to the station and realized that an "accident" had just happened. When I first came to Japan and ran into train delays, everyone always told me it was an "accident". It took me a while to catch-on. Usually these "accidents" are suicides. Today someone jumped off the platform in front of an express train that was "flying" through Tobu Nerima station. I can't imagine the pain that person was feeling inside before they jumped. After going through depression for years (because of hypothyroidism...because of radiation treatments to my throat), I can understand that someone might feel so much pain that they can see only one option for themselves. But, it's never been an option for me. Today, when I came upon this scene at the station, I felt sick...nauseous... 10-15 guys down on the tracks picking-up the pieces. I couldn't help but to think what a selfish act it was. So many people are touched by this situation. This is 3rd time that I have arrived at or been at a scene of suicide around a train station. One other time I arrived just after a guy jumped out of a 6th floor window. But, he survived. Today, I felt such an eerie feeling....it was deep....of course I felt sick and shocked by the whole situation but, beyond that, I sensed some deep feeling...something spiritual. I can't really explain. My vocabulary seems to be limited in this area. Last year, there were over 33,000 suicides in Japan....over 90 per day! It's beyond my comprehension.