Tokyo Nights
Life In Tokyo - Neil Stalnaker
Monday, February 20, 2006
2/19/06 Bridal Fair.....
Played a pretty lame gig today. A bridal fair. The couples shopping around for a place to "get hitched". Of course I had to play as softly as possible...to be seen (that "cool" gaijin [foreigner] thing) and not heard. It felt cheap....felt like I was doing something bad for "the music". I know.. I know....we all have to "make a living". I've just been extremely lucky not to have to play a lot of b---sh-- gigs. And the ones I have done, I was able to make a little hipper than maybe it was supposed to be. ANYWAY, the gig sucked. The musicians were fine (haha..in case you happen to be reading this...it had nothing to do with you...hahha). But, maybe I was too aware of the room. Maybe I noticed people too much. I didn't get the feeling these people were getting married. I didn't see anyone that looked very happy...or very romantic. Although the ladies did show a lot of enthusiasm for the dessert bar..hahaha....stuffing their little cheeks like squirrels. It was just sort of bizzare. People being herded through there like cattle. And I know on the wedding day, there will 5-7 weddings in that place!. Again, just herded through like cattle. Do your little ceremony...have a singer come in and do a couple of gospel tunes...company boss gives a speech...couple of toasts...cut the cake and you're "outta there"....NEXT!

I guess the money was ok. I'm probably not supposed to complain. Just keep my mouth shut and take the money. Thank God i have a lot of projects going that keep me satisfied inside. If I had to rely on that kind of work to make a living, I would go crazy.