Tokyo Nights
Life In Tokyo - Neil Stalnaker
Tuesday, January 16, 2007

I've been using Shinsei Bank for about 3 years. I have accounts several other major Japanese Banks but, Shinsei is just a whole level above the rest. This bank has quite a history which I suspect scares some (extremely) conservative Japanese customers away. At Shinsei, you can actually walk up to an ATM on a holiday and withdraw money! I was shocked when I first came to Japan and they had the usual 1 week Golden Week Holiday in May and I couldn't get money out of the bank.

The book cover above is from, "Saving The Sun." This a great book which describes Shinsei Banks' unusual history. Definitely check it out. It not only gives a great "blow by blow" history of the bank but, also gives incredible insights into Japanese culture and the business/political world.

Labels: , , , ,