Tokyo Nights
Life In Tokyo - Neil Stalnaker
Monday, July 18, 2005
Today I Miss West Virginia

Living in the city is o.k. for some things. It's the place to be if you're going to make a living as a trumpet player. I grew up in West Virginia, lived a year in Boston, maybe 7 years in Washington, D.C., half a year in New York and now 7 years in Tokyo. Yeah, it's been interesting. Met a lot of interesting people. Played a lot of music. But, I'm very happy that I grew up in the mountains of West Virginia. It's always in my blood. Even while riding a train through Siberia in January of 1996, my friend and I commented about how that particular area of Siberia looked like Canaan Valley, West Virginia. I have often had the same thoughts while traveling through Japan. Of course, I'm aware of the jokes and comments people make about "Appalachia" but, I've found that most of those people have never even visited the place of which they are making fun. I'm always surprised at the snickers and comments I get from "Tokyo people" about my interest in these rural areas outside of the city. I've been lucky. Traveled to many countries. But, being in West Virginia or any area that is close to nature is where I find real meaning in life. It cleanses the spirit. I often go to rural areas outside of Tokyo. I truly enjoy meeting the people......