Tokyo Nights
Life In Tokyo - Neil Stalnaker
Sunday, October 30, 2005
No Money...No Music
Went to my gig tonight. I got there just in time to start the first set at 7pm. Today was "pay-day" so, after the 1st set I went to the cashiers office to pick up my money. Actually, I was to pick up money for the last "pay-day" also. I was on a tour this month and was late sending the invoice for the first "pay-day" on October 8. So...I was understanding about not being paid on October 8 (even though I have been working there over 2 years and the "girl" in the office knows the situation very well).

So...the cashier told me there wasn't ANY money at all for me. So, now they owe me money for both "pay-days"...October 8 and October 30. I went into the kitchen and was waiting to hear something from the management. Management said there wasn't any money for me tonight. So, I said, "Well....I told you before, no money, no music."

Well, the clock was ticking. It became 8pm. Time for the 2nd stage. I was still in the kitchen. The management was making many phone calls....many calls to staff and management at home on Sunday night. Customers were waiting. The management is beginning to panic. They asked me to play and I said, "No way! I'm going home!!! You keep your half of the "deal" and I will keep mine". Suddenly about 8:20pm an envelope arrived with my money. Surprise surprise!!! I guess there was money there after all........

Don't misunderstand. I'm not in the music business for the money. If I wanted to make huge money, I would go back to West Virginia and broker lumber. I love making music. I show up on time. Try to look good. Try to play my butt off every night. Have great interactions with the customers. But.....when I have an agreement, I expect the other side to respect it. It's simple. I'm not trying to be a hard ass. But I can be. So the message is simple...........

no money....no music