Tokyo Nights
Life In Tokyo - Neil Stalnaker
Friday, September 30, 2005
Band(s)
Recently, some people have asked me if I replaced some players in my quartet. The answer is no.
Right now I have two bands...Neil Stalnaker Quartet...and the EAST/WEST UNIT. I have had more of my attention on EAST/WEST UNIT lately to get it started. But, from now I will be working and performing with both bands. I'm also doing trumpet/piano duos. I'm doing an all electric trio/quartet and an getting ready to start an acoustic trio with trumpet, bass and drums. I get bored with just one playing outlet. I need change. There are a lot of people that I want to play with but, it's important that I try to create the right context for different players' styles. I'm also playing the "jazz chair" in the Serendipity Big Band. I used to play in a 10-piece salsa orchestra in Washington, D.C. We performed at least twice a week. I REALLY miss that band. Also, in D.C I did a lot of classical trumpet with piano. I would love to be doing some of that now.