Tokyo Nights
Life In Tokyo - Neil Stalnaker
Wednesday, October 05, 2005
EAST/WEST UNIT Fall Japan Tour 2005-Osaka
Tonight we played at Royal Horse in Osaka. A lot of famous jazz musicians have played at this club. At least from all the photos they had displayed outside in the front windows, it looks like many "famous" musicians have been playing there. It became clear pretty early on in this gig how un-famous I am. At least that's how I was made to feel. But, the band played it's ass off tonight. After the first set, the manager approached me and said that our original compositions were beautiful BUT. He wanted us to play standards. During the break I walked outside...kind of disgusted to have the management approach me like that. So, I walked up the street...decided to go the corner store and get some juice. As I was entering the store, I had a hooker approach me...got in the store and had a guy standing beside me filling his pockets with "genki" drinks...walked outside and had a guy throwing up all over the sidewalk in front of me while his "salaryman" friends stood around laughing at him. All that in about 2 minutes. Went back to the club and we proceeded to play our butts off on the "STANDARDS". Customers loved it...even wanted an encore.