Tokyo Nights
Life In Tokyo - Neil Stalnaker
Tuesday, November 01, 2005
Tokyo...An Early City
last night i found myself at a cafe in ikebukuro around 11pm. just finished taking a chinese herb bath at a public bath house (sento). no gig. just hangin out. i was thinkin about listening to some music. i wanted to walk into a club and hear some cats really "gettin down". but i'm sorry to say, at 11pm i couldn't think of a single place in all of tokyo. most of my gigs finish at 10:30-11pm. it's driving me crazy!!! i'm a night person. i loved walking into spots in washington, d.c., pittsburgh, baltimore, buffalo, and new york at 1:30, 2, 3am and listening to cats playin. or if i had my horn to play a little too. until 2 years ago, i could go to roppongi and jam or just hang-out at pickford. just recently i was in hiroshima and hung-out and played at soho until 2 or 3 am. why hiroshima and nagoya and not tokyo? in october i hung-out and played at gary's in nagoya until 3am.

i'm sorry but it's tough for me to get into this thing of leaving my house at 2pm for a rehearsal for a jazz gig that starts at 7pm and then I'm finished by 10 or 10:30pm. my clock is just set-up differently i guess. seems like everything here is constructed around the "salaryman's" life. train stops at midnight or 12:30am. got to get everybody home and tucked into bed.........